What makes an effective nonprofit:
Do you want your organization to reach its goals? That is the case for all nonprofits.. but how does one stand out & achieving their objectives with limited resources? After researching why many nonprofits are successful, 6 questions came to mind that every nonprofit must answer if they want to succeed. After taking a look at these questions, you will be able to see exactly what your organization needs to be able to be victorious in your goal setting.
1) Are you flexible / Will you make the adjustments that need to be made? Many organizations receive information that informs them on changes that need to be made but rarely are those changes actually done. Feedback is important; take it all in and put it to use.
2) Are you using your creativity to the best of its ability? With high competition for donors, volunteers and donations, how will you separate your nonprofit organization from the rest? Creativity is endless, use your efforts to stand out from the pack! Your organization must find different ways to reach & engage with people, inform one another, and make others feel genuinely special to be a part of (or giving back to) such a great nonprofit.
3) Are you using your volunteers, employees and/or board of directors effectively? Do your members of the organization know your vision and how to bring it to life? Being well-informed in an organization is key. Having exceptional leadership and communication skills is necessary to run any organization at an effective level. Learning what skill sets each person in your organization is best at is important. Once this is figured out, those individuals & their skills can positively impact the team. Take the time to get to know everyone, and once the skills are known, ensure that they are being put to use and are helping the organization achieve its mission and goals.
4) Is a strategy being utilized? Are you having meetings to plan your organization’s next move and anticipating those potential obstacles and figuring out how to overcome them? Many nonprofits are unable to succeed because they lack strategic planning. You must take the time to create a plan which includes future obstacles and how to face them. Planning ahead of time is always important.
5) Are you frequently analyzing and evaluation your organizations efforts? After your organization goes through step 4 and creates that strategic plan, you have to remember to analyze and evaluate. Looking at the results and deciding how to modifying the plan will be a key with helping your organization grow and stay motivated. A company cannot change if they don’t have a system in place to evaluate those necessary changes.
6) Are you continually building relationships with your donors & volunteers? Keep building relationships and growing your network. Since donors and volunteers give up their time/money, building your relationships and trust with one another is key. People are always more apt to help if they have a great relationship with that person or organization. Let people know about the success about your nonprofit and ask for their input; let them know you care. Nonprofits should not only build relationships after the event has occurred/ donations are given, but rather keep in contact with these people all year long.
Sources: http://eddiethompson.org/author/eddiet747/page/2/, http://www.whydev.org/what-makes-an-effective-non-profit/, http://www.fidelitycharitable.org/docs/What-Makes-An-Effective-Nonprofit.pdf